Thursday, October 16, 2008

Four Corners Geological Society talk tomorrow

I'm the speaker at this month's Four Corners Geological Society meeting in Durango. (The title is "Stitching plutons or magma-enhanced deformation: reaction textures, deformation, and thermal modeling from the aureole of the Victory Pluton, NE Vermont." I realize that 1) the title is way too long, and 2) at least one person reading this blog will wonder whether I have actually done anything in the past eight years. The answer, btw, is that I'm trying to wrap up some things related to the Vermont work, and I thought the FCGS members would be more interested in hearing about that than about pedagogy research.)

If anyone reading would like to come, it's in the basement of the College Union Building (the "Sub-CUB Pub"). There's a social hour at 5:30 pm, dinner at 6:30 pm, and the talk at 7:30 pm. Normally we take RSVP's for dinner, but there should be some extra space. (Let me know, though - I don't think there are many Durangoans reading this, but I could be wrong.) Dinner is $20, the talk alone is $2, and if you're a Fort Lewis College student, the talk is free.

Four Corners Geological Society website

(And to those wondering how I'm adjusting to moving all my old images to Powerpoint, the answer is... well, you know how you can scan slides? I had a work-study student doing that for some of mine, but they were scanned at the size of a postage stamp. When I opened the files, I felt kind of like the guys in Spinal Tap when the eighteen-inch Stonehendge set appeared. Fortunately, I've got new digital thin section photos, and maps and graphs that open in Illustrator, and thermal modeling results that open in Excel. But I had a moment where I wondered whether I could just do the entire thing with slides, except for the part that uses new data...)

2 comments:

Elli said...

Strangely enough, I just had a thought of driving up to NEK to sample for my mineralogy - petrology class projects for the 2009 sequence. I'd probably have to go before the end of November, though, in order to miss snow. I was thinking of giving each student an igneous and a metamorphic rock of their own and having them work on them on and off through the two courses... Maybe I'll find a closer pluton - contact aureole to do instead.

kurt said...

As you can imagine, your talk sounds very interesting to me! I am glad that you're making progress on that. Someday I hope to hear more! Perhaps in Portland next year.

I met Scott Paterson (USC) this summer while we were out and about. That thermal modeling stuff is truly fascinating! You two might have a lot to talk about if you don't already know each other.