Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Geobloggers at AGU

Geobloggers (and anyone else who wants to come) are planning to get together on Wednesday night (one week from tomorrow!) at AGU. And... well, we haven't made any plans beyond that. Let's make some.

Here are my constraints: I'm giving a talk that ends at 5:30 pm, and my session ends at 6. (And it would be kind of rude to give my talk and run.) I think Brian's session is earlier in the afternoon?

I don't have any suggestions for where to meet - I haven't been to San Francisco since 1999 (which wasn't even this century, and yes, that does make me feel old, especially today). Apparently the Moscone Center is twice as big as it used to be, too. So Bay Area locals (Brian? Andrew?) - any suggestions for a time and place? AGU has also gotten even larger in the past nine years, so I'm guessing that restaurants are hard to find (except that San Francisco should still be better than Houston after a major hurricane... well, unless there's an earthquake this week, which I most fervently hope there is not).

Edit: How about the Thirsty Bear at 7 pm?


View Larger Map

14 comments:

Ron Schott said...

I'll be there - wherever and whenever on Wednesday evening there turns out to be.

Dave S. said...

I live in the city, I should know! ;)

(Interestingly enough, I might have to leave that night to go to So Cal).

Anyway, a place I would recommend is the Thirst Bear Restaurant & Brewery.

It's close to the Moscone Center, so it might be crowded, but it's a good spot with a lot of space.

-Dave (Geology News)

Dave S. said...

Oops, that's Thirsty Bear

Anonymous said...

I was going to recommend Thirsty Bear as well ... we went there last year ... it's a brewery/restaurant. It's very close to the Moscone center and should be able to accommodate us. But, I'm open to other ideas that are nearby.

My session is all afternoon on Wed and I imagine I'll be tied up until 6:30ish.

Unknown said...

Um, hey. I'm currently mostly a lurker in the geoblogosphere (only 2 posts on my geoblog before this semester swalllowed my soul -- I'm an undergraduate, and this is my last year), but I'll be at AGU, and I'd like to meet up with y'all, if that's all right.

I have a press conference to do Wednesday afternoon, but it'll be done before the rest of you are finished up, from the looks of things.

Anyway, hope to see everyone there!

Andrew Alden, Oakland Geology blog said...

I'll swing by and say hi, but that's the night of the science writers' dinner and I'll want to be there by 7.

Kim said...

Dave - I didn't know you were in SF as well! (Not surprising that SF would be an epicenter of geoblogging.)

Jay - yes, come along!

Andrew - too bad about planning this for the same time as the science writers' dinner.

Anonymous said...

okay ... 7pm at Thirsty Bear it is!

Chris R said...

Bah. I wish I could be there to meet with you all. Maybe next year (although I seem to remember saying that last year!)...

David B. Williams said...

Sounds fun. I plan on stopping by. Like Jay, I am new at this and look forward to meeting the experienced pros.

Anonymous said...

So, it looks like about six or so of us?

Kim said...

There are at least three more people who expressed interest on the original post. (One more probably can't make it.) I'll drop comments on their blogs so they'll hear the word.

Julian said...

Sounds awesome! I'll be there!

Dave S. said...

I also created a post on my blog as well.

http://geology.rockbandit.net/2008/12/11/agu-geoblogger-meetup-on-1217/