Wednesday, December 17, 2008

AGU non-blogging

I'm at AGU (after a rather eventful travel day that included a cancelled flight and a broken de-icer, among other things). I'm not live-blogging it, but maybe if I have time, I'll blog about at least one of the sessions I went to:

Early morning: Teaching Geoscience in the 21st Century posters. (Saw a few posters, had long conversations - mostly about teaching - with people I knew from the Teaching Intro Geoscience workshop. I have more ideas to steal now.)

Late morning: Exhumation of High- and Ultra-high Pressure Rocks: the cross-disciplinary view. I will blog more about this if I find the time - this is the research that I wish I had gotten into as a grad student, and which still fascinates me.

Gabbed with former thesis student. Ran into some grad school friends in the hall. (Scientists have a reputation as anti-social. It's a big lie.)

Early afternoon: Plate motion and its relation to deforming zones. I find high-precision GPS data fascinating, and wanted to learn more about it. I'm not in this field (and never have been), so I don't have a good handle on what is new and exciting (other than being able to really truly see active deformation, which is exciting enough for me). I probably won't blog in detail on it, but it was an interesting session.

Late afternoon: Teaching Introductory Geoscience: Staying Relevant in the 21st Century II. This was my session. Maybe I'll blog about what I'm doing at some point. I won't blog about the other talks, because I was busy trying to remember what I was going to say in mine. (I have this problem in sessions all the time. It's a shame, because I miss learning interesting things related to my own research interests.)

Ran into a college friend who I thought had become a biologist. Gabbed.

Had a late dinner with geology bloggers. (Scientists are social, remember.)

And now I'm here, and need to go to bed, so I can get up, have a too-short day, and run back to the airport to go home.

AGU has grown a lot since I was here last - I wish I was staying longer.

No comments: