Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Can't go to AGU? Here are some ways to get your fix.

Not going to be in San Francisco next week? Don't want to miss out on the American Geophysical Union meeting? Here are some other ways to keep up with what's going on:

AGU will have live webcasts of one or two sessions each day:

Monday, 15 December,
0800h–1000h, U11C - MESSENGER at Mercury: The Second Flyby I

0830h–1930h, U15A - Frontiers of Geophysics Lecture: The Spread of Scientific Knowledge From the Royal Society to Google Earth and Beyond

Tuesday, 16 December
1020h–1220h, U22B - The Great 2008 Wenchuan Earthquake: A Multidisciplinary View II

Wednesday, 17 December
0800h–1000h, U31B - Episodic Tremor and Slip I: Field Studies; A Growing Cottage Industry

Thursday, 18 December
1020h–1220h, U42B - Interaction of Earth Reservoirs

Friday, 19 December
1020h–1220h, H52B - Arsenic and Other Metals as Contaminants in Hydrologic Systems

(I may have to turn on the Mercury session on Monday morning while I'm frantically writing my final exams. Planetary geology is just plain amazing.)

For commentary, Erik Klemetti may try live-blogging from his new iPod. And last year, one of the RealClimate contributors live-blogged some of the climate sessions - I don't know if they're planning to do the same thing this year. As for me - I'm not going to try to blog the meeting; I learned at GSA that I would rather talk to people face-to-face when I've got the chance. If I see anything that I want to share, I'll try to post about it later. (I blog on a geologic time scale anyway, so I figure that I can keep talking about things I saw at this year's meetings for the next billion years or so, right?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may attempt to live-blog ... I tend to take a long time to digest information and then pen a post though ... not very good at the real-time blogging.

Kim said...

I've had the best intentions of live-blogging in the past. (GSA 2007, Teaching Intro Geology, GSA 2008.) But I'm bad enough at listening and thinking at the same time. There's no way I would be able to listen, think, and type.

Maybe I'll blog in the evenings from my hotel room, or from the Oakland airport.