Tuesday, February 5, 2008

In which climate and weather are not the same thing...

It's a good thing that I'm not teaching Earth Systems Science this semester, and don't have to deal with the inevitable questions about whether this winter disproves global warming.

Here's the view from my house yesterday.



Hobbit Four-year-old for scale. If you look closely. See that red hood kind of sticking up out of the snow fort? That's him.

Classes were cancelled today, so that the college could plow parking lots and remove dangerous snow from roofs. I suspect, though, that today will go down in college legend as the Official Powder Day.

Meanwhile, there was an avalanche on the south end of town this afternoon. And I have the urge to make my structure class calculate the shear and normal stresses acting on the roof over their heads...

No comments: