Saturday, September 22, 2007

Let it snow!

Here's the National Weather Service's forecast for my county for tonight:

SOME SNOWFALL IS ALSO EXPECTED OVERNIGHT ACROSS THE HIGHER MOUNTAINS...WITH SNOW LEVELS DROPPING TO AROUND 10000 FEET BY MORNING. ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE HIGHER PEAKS BY EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

Thought #1: Yay! Must remember to grab camera when it clears. Maybe I'll be lucky and have the first clear day be Tuesday, when I'm going to be on a ridge with a view, teaching students to map.

Thought #2: On the other hand:

COLDER AIR MOVING INTO THE AREA WILL RESULTING IN SOME SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ABOVE THE 7000 FOOT LEVEL IN THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS AND 8000 TO 9000 FOOT LEVEL IN THE SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS.

Well, I think the field area is below 8000 feet...

Thought #3: I love teaching in a science where I occasionally have to scrap a lab because of an early snow storm. :D And where my "work shoes" are Montrail Hard Rocks.

Edit: Oh, and Thought #4: Today is the equinox. Happy fall to those in the northern hemisphere, and happy spring to everyone in the southern hemisphere! (That goes double for Alessia in Antarctica.)

And Thought #5: I hope this storm's most intense rainfall is hitting north of the Four Corners, and Brian's field trip to the Guadalupes hasn't suddenly turned miserable. Rain is good... unless you're in a tent. Or are trying to get across flashy streams.

No comments: